Mad City Money simulation kit
Mad City MoneyTM is a 2½-hour hands-on simulation that appeals to youth and gives them a taste of the real worldcomplete with occupation, salary, spouse, student loan debt, credit card debt, and medical insurance payments.
Read how Mad City Money teaches real world lessons to California students
High school students take on the role of an adult in futuristic Mad City. Theyre given jobs, income, a family, and debt. The challenge? Visit merchants to select housing, transportation, food, household necessities, clothing, day care, and other wants and needs while building a budget. The Credit Union has an office in town, too.
Mad City Money allows participants to make mistakesand suffer the consequences of their decisionsin a realistic, but safe, environment. Most participants are surprised to learn I cant have a big house and a new truck on my salary and still pay for day care and groceries. Once the shock wears off, they reevaluate choices and manage their money effectively.
Once students have had their eyes opened by this simulation, the Can I Make It on My Own? student guide can be used to encourage teenagers to plan and budget for adult independence.
- Preparing will take several hours, but you'll need to start at least 30 days before the event to line up adult volunteers to staff Mad City
- 2.5 hours for simulation and debrief
- 22-30 teens (target is grades 8-12)
- 10 adults who play the role of various merchants in Mad City Facilitator
- Prework for participants on balancing a check/debit card register
This kit includes a CD that contains:
- A facilitators guide to help you organize and deliver the event.
- Ready to print (in color or B/W) materials for both participants and merchants.
- Training materials for merchants.
- Prework options that you can mail or e-mail to participants.
- Certificates of completion.
- Evaluation forms.
- Customizable marketing pieces for you to print and distribute including invitation letters, promotional articles, and a poster.
Giveaways for participants to get you started that include:
- 50 copies of Guide to Money: Getting a Good Start handbook.
- 30 copies of Can I Make It on My Own? student guide
You'll need to provide:
- Volunteers to act as merchants
To order this item, click on Add to Cart below or call 800-356-8010, press 3.